In late July, Mom and I decided to introduce Cora to two of our favorite things - Williamsburg and shopping. Little did we know that the day wouldn't be the success that we had so excitedly imagined. Let me take a brief moment to tell you that a few days after this unfortunate trip at Cora's one month visit the doctor told us that she was right in the middle of her fussiest weeks. Had we only known that in advance...
The day started to go awry about halfway through the drive down when the fussing began. Admist the screams, we managed to finally arrive at Megan's condo where Cora got a clean diaper and a snack. Then, with a calm Cora in tow, we thought we were ready to go find Mommy some new cute mommy clothes. Oh, how much we were mistaken. She cried in Ann Taylor Loft and finally had another snack in the dressing room while I tried on numerous skirts, shorts, and shirts and even bought a few items. She slept briefly following her feeding, but woke up before I could check out and was once again on the fussy side. Mom, Megan and I had glorious plans of Target, Trader Joe's, and other fun adventures, but after the long morning we opted for Chick-Fil-A which Megan and I scarfed down while we drove around the parking lot and Mom ran into Hallmark. By the time Mom had secured her Christmas ornaments Cora had almost drifted off again. Could it be? Were we going to get over to the outlets and get to try on a few clothes before Cora's next awake time? Hahahaha.
On the ride to the outlets a couple of things happened. First, Cora fell asleep. Then, a huge storm came up and when we parked right in front of Banana Republic, the skies opened. Megan and I had to laugh at the way the day was going just to get through it. We finally decided to run for it. Megan had been driving my hybrid vehicle and when we parked, accidentally turned it off without realizing it. She and I rushed into the store where we loaded up and headed back to the dressing rooms. While I was checking out, Megan got a frantic call from Mom that sent us rushing back outside. When we got to the car, Mom was holding Cora in the front seat. It was a scene I'll never forget (and that still makes me laugh out loud). Their hair was frizzed out to unbelievable lengths, Cora was crying, and Mom had texted both Megan and me the following, "Awaakee skreeamin" and "Hort oen oere." Apparently the car had started to really steam up, Cora had awakened because of the heat, and Mom had been trying to let us know that things were not going well. After making sure everyone was okay, Cora had another snack and then we had a relatively successful run through J. Crew. Cora must like that store.
Finally it was time to head home. We had all had about enough. After such a big day, Cora slept the longest that night that she had yet - 5 hours in a row!
Surprisingly, earlier this week I decided maybe it was time to revisit the Williamsburg idea and I packed Cora up all by myself to go meet the rest of my family for the day. You can see how this trip went on Mom's blog at www.cindypackett.blogspot.com. After Tuesday, we may even go back again sometime!
I love this story. I smiled and laughed as I read. Totally know where you're comin' from, because that's where we live too! :) It's always good to know you're not alone!
ReplyDelete